Thursday, April 3, 2008

longer waits and risks

We learned recently that the USCIS is now going to require a DNA test of the birth mom and baby. This test will confirm that the baby is matched with the birth parent who is voluntarily consenting to the adoption. Once the test results are received, the relationship will be confirmed, and the case will be approved OR referred for further investigation. The US Embassy may then require a second DNA test to verify that the baby is the same child that we were originally matched with.

While we see this process as a good way to ensure an ethical adoption, we are completely stessed because of what this means in terms of our timeframe since the MOU is expiring September 1.

Our understanding now is that we may not be able to complete our adoption!
It also means that if after we do get our referral our case falls under suspicion, there may be a long delay. If that baby becomes unavailable to us, it is also possible that we may not receive a new referral due to the MOU expiration date.
And therefore, no baby!

We are trying to learn as much as we can about these changes. I'll keep you informed.

How can you help???
Please go to the website: www.bringourchildrenhome.org
and see what you can do. There are letters and petitions available there.
Please keep all of us in your prayers each day so that Mark and I have a chance to become parents and share our lives with a child. As many of you know, we are pretty much at the end of our options for making that happen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll keep praying Sue. It's so hard to hear this mixed news. It's good for the mothers and babies that don't want to be separated, but so worrisome in the delay of the event.
I will just pray, pray, pray.
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Sue and Mark-
I am so sorry to hear of this new stress on top of what is already a stressful situation. Chris and I will continue to pray that this all works out for you guys. You are in my thoughts constantly. I will go to the website to see what I can do. Love you both!
Ann

stollmyheart said...

grrrrr. this makes me livid. in our prayers...