I decided to take Henry to the nearby outdoor mall. I wanted to pick up a few things as well as give Henry some time to play in the water spout play area (his first time). Everything was great until after about ten minutes into it when someone came over to tell us he needed to wear shoes. (About half of the kids that were there didn't have shoes so we figured it was OK.)
Anyhow, I sat down with Henry to put his shoes on...he didn't like this at all. I'm sure he just didn't understand the change...who knows. I got his shoes on, and he lost interest in the water. He made a few attempts to re-enter, but was basically done. So we walked away, then he went running back, then wanted to leave, then wanted to go back. I figured it was time to go. I picked him up, we walked over to one of the stores, and all was fine.
After we left the store, I asked if he wanted to go into the water and he said yes. We started walking toward it and again, he started this few steps forward, then turn around the other way game again. So I picked him up and told him we were going home. He started screaming that he wanted the water. I mean SCREAMING. We continued to walk away. The water was completely out of sight, but he kept it up. We got to the car, and I tried to put him into the car seat, still SCREAMING. He fought me all the way so we sat in the backseat of the car, with me keeping him in the seat unbuckled, for about 15 minutes. He straightens out his body so it's impossible to get the seat belt over his shoulders. People were looking at us, one woman even came over but she said she was looking for her daughter and grand baby, who apparently cries just the same as Henry. I decided to pick up Henry (still in the back seat); I hugged him, and he clung to me very tightly. The tears and the screams stopped. Five minutes later he seems calmer so I start to put him in the seat and once again, the screams start. This time I managed to get him locked into his seat belt, and we drove home. He screamed the whole ride home, which wasn't too far. When we got home, I took him out and he stopped screaming and clung to me for dear life.
He's now happily eating lunch... what happened???? I suppose we are just approaching 2!
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You have been christened with your first big temper tantrum! It's so much easier when it happens at home. I've had to leave Target with screaming child---we've all been there.
Post a Comment