Thursday, May 15, 2008

Time to get prepared


A few weeks ago it was announced on the news that California faces an almost certain risk of being rocked by a strong earthquake by 2037. There is a 99.7 percent chance a magnitude 6.7 quake or larger will strike in the next 30 years. The odds are higher in southern California than northern California—97 percent versus 93 percent. Yikes!
It is time to prepare for the possibility that we will be here when it strikes. I just cannot imagine that powerful of an earthquake, especially after seeing the devastation in China right now. You would think we would have done all of this shopping and preparing before now, since we've lived here for as long as we have, but we haven't! It's definitely time!
I put together a kit for each car and our house...just in case. I've been in a few milder quakes. When it comes, it sometimes sounds like a big truck is driving past your house. One woke me in the middle of the night because the glass on my shower door was shaking. I got up but was unable to stand...the floor felt like it was rolling. I saw the chandelier swinging back and forth. It was a strange few minutes. Luckily nobody was hurt.



Clearly I need to do more shopping, but at least it's a start!
I didn't buy the baby supplies that we will need yet...that is on the top of my list once we get our approval. Yesterday marked six months since we logged in our paperwork. It's so hard to wait! At least waiting gives me time to complete the projects that need completing...like preparing for an earthquake!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MOVE BACK TO WISCONSIN!!!!! Seriously-the thought of you guys being in an earthquake of that magnitude makes me sick to my stomach! The winters aren't so bad. Mark didn't seem to mind the frostbite from his late December run too much! ;)
Ann