Friday, May 9, 2008

Mother's Day

First of all, Happy Mother's Day to all of you out there celebrating this weekend. This day is a challenging one for me, as I've been on the quest to motherhood for about four years now. I can't help but think about the miscarriages and unfortunate circumstances that got in the way. I also think about our baby over in Vietnam...will we get to see him? meet him? bring him home? I believe that God knows how all of this will turn out, and that he is preparing me for something wonderful, but even so, the pain of being childless doesn't go away.

The Today Show is having a contest to recognize and honor America's Favorite Mom for Mother's Day. It sounded like a nice idea until I saw the categories. There is a category for best military mom, best working mom, best CEO mom...those are all great! What shocked me is the category labeled the "NON-MOM mom" which is for the grandparent, stepmom, or mom to adopted children. Can you believe it? How insensitive! How dare they call any woman who has not actually given birth to her children a "non-mom." The Today Show will be hearing from me!

Even though I don't actually have a child yet, in my heart, I feel like I'm a mom already. I feel hope that I will get my chance to share my life with our child and be a mom, however God brings him or her to us one day.

1 comment:

stollmyheart said...

Non-moms!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Oh, they will be hearing from me too! WOW! Best wishes this Mother's Day...not an easy one for me either. I hope to hear your good news soon!