Saturday, May 9, 2009

Our first (and hopefully last) 911 call

Before I give you all the details, I wanted to say that Henry's music class is going very well. Henry has really connected with a little boy named Joey, who is 15 months old. They are very cute together. Yesterday we met him and his mom at the park along with friends Donna and Justin, who is 19 months. The boys had a blast. The cutest part was when we broke out the snacks. Joey insisted on feeding the goldfish crackers to Henry..wish I had the camera.

We came home and had lunch before I put Henry down for his nap. I thought he'd fall asleep right away, but he talked and talked for a good 45 min. Then he started to cry and of course I thought he was just fussing like he normally does. Then it was quiet. I went in to check on him and saw that he was lying on his stomach with his right leg sticking through the bars on the crib. He started to cry. I went over and tried to gently push it back into the crib, but the leg wouldn't go back in.
Henry started crying harder. I tried a few more times but it just wouldn't go back into the crib. It was starting to swell a little because of my attempts. Then he started trying to turn over onto his back, and I knew if he was successful, his leg would not have rolled along with him. Henry is so strong that I really thought he'd roll over and break his leg. I called Mark at work (which is just up the road) and they tried to track him down. Then I called 911 and just waited, trying to calm Henry and keep him from turning. Mark got here before the paramedics, and with the help of Vaseline, he managed to work the leg through while I held Henry down.
Henry was a little shaken, but it didn't take long before he bounced right back into his happy self. I'm happy that the response from the paramedics took only about five minutes...just in case we need them to come here again.

Do you think I overreacted? I just couldn't think of anything else to do in the moment...

I put the bumper that I made into the crib to see if that helps prevent this from happening again until we get him a bed...I was hoping he'd be able to stay in that crib for much longer. Look how big he is ...




and still only 23 pounds!
We're thinking of putting his crib mattress on the floor, which means he will be wandering in his room while we sleep...yikes. What a day...glad it's over!

Here are just a few shots of his cuteness:




I'm excited about tomorrow...it's (finally) my very first Mother's Day!!!

3 comments:

Sue and Mark said...

Any good mother would have done the same thing! You did not over react, as far as I'm concerned! : )

I'm glad he's having so much fun with his new friends!

Love to you all and have a great first Mother's Day!!

Sarah said...

Happy Mother's Day! Hopefully the bumper will help. When we first moved Sully to a bed, we put the gate up on his bedroom door. That way if he got up, he could open the door and call to us but couldn't wander the house and get hurt. Good Luck!

stollmyheart said...

Oh NO! Poor guy. Ella has done that too...thankfully, I was able to sqeeze her out of the bars..but in the moment - it's so scary!